Wednesday, September 17, 2008

How to log the referring site

My web startup was deployed in June... It took me until this week to realize I should be recording the referring site for every signup. And no... Google Analytics is not a good solution for this.

The client side code goes something like this:
    <form>
Email
<input onfocus="javascript:document.getElementById('referringSite').value=document.referrer"
name="email" />
<!-- or with jquery: -->
<!-- <input onfocus="javascript:$('#referringSite').val(document.referrer);" name="email" />-->
Choose Password
<input type="password" name="password" value="" />
<input type="hidden" name="referringSite" value="" id="referringSite" />
<input name="submit" type="submit" value="Sign up!" />
</form>


So now, instead of knowing where I get the most hits from, I know where I get the most account creations from, which is what really matters.

Anyone know of any other super valuable info to record?

No comments: